This delightful carrot soup combines the earthiness of carrots with the zesty tang of oranges and a hint of spicy ginger. It’s a heart-warming blend that is not only delicious but also packed with vitamins and nutrients. Ideal for a cozy dinner or a sophisticated starter, this soup will be an instant favorite. Here’s how to prepare it:
- 6 large carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, grated
- Zest of 1 orange
- Juice of 2 oranges
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon honey or maple syrup (optional)
- Fresh parsley or coriander for garnish
- A dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream (optional)
- A sprinkle of toasted pumpkin seeds or almonds (optional)
- Sauté the Base: In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onions and cook until they are soft and translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and ginger, and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- Cook the Carrots: Add the chopped carrots to the pot, and cook for another 5-7 minutes, until they start to soften.
- Add Broth and Simmer: Pour in the vegetable broth, orange juice, and orange zest. Bring to a boil, then lower the heat and let it simmer for about 20-25 minutes, or until the carrots are tender.
- Season the Soup: Add salt and black pepper to taste. If you like a touch of sweetness to balance the tanginess of the orange, you can also add a teaspoon of honey or maple syrup.
- Blend the Soup: Once the carrots are tender, remove the pot from the heat. Use an immersion blender to puree the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you can transfer the soup to a blender in batches and blend until smooth. If the soup is too thick, add a little extra broth or water until you reach your desired consistency.
- Serve and Garnish: Pour the soup into bowls. For an extra touch of creaminess, add a dollop of Greek yogurt or sour cream. Garnish with fresh parsley or coriander, and a sprinkle of toasted pumpkin seeds or almonds for some crunch.
- Enjoy!: Your Carrot Soup with Orange and Ginger is ready to be savored. Serve with a slice of crusty bread for a complete meal.
- If you like a spicier kick, add an extra pinch of grated ginger or a dash of cayenne pepper.
- You can also add a small potato or some cauliflower to the soup for extra creaminess without adding dairy.
- Feel free to swap out the vegetable broth for chicken broth if you prefer a different flavor profile.
Enjoy this elegant and flavorful carrot soup with friends and family, or save it for a night when you need some gourmet comfort food.